About Whitgift: Wildlife & Grounds
Updated: Thu 24 Jan 2013
Whitgift enjoys a beautiful 45 acre parkland site, once the home of Lord Howard of Effingham, Admiral of the Fleet sent against the Armada in 1588. Haling Park, to which the School moved in 1931 retains the appearance of a country estate, with a large copse, many fine specimen trees, Prevost's Squirrels, maras, peafowl, crowned and demoiselle cranes, flamingos and other exotic birds.
The Founder's Garden, Water Gardens and Andrew Quadrangle offer life-enhancing, reflective spaces as well as venues for plays, concerts and celebrations.
The Whitgift Rose, created to mark the 400th Anniversary of the School, is widely planted throughout the grounds.
'The inspirational grounds and gardens have several wildlife areas and enclosed spaces which foster calmness, peace and an opportunity to appreciate a sense of place and self-awareness'
ISI Inspection Report