Now in its twelfth year, the 2017 Independent Schools Ski and Snowboard Championships (ISSSC) has grown in popularity and now welcomes over 350 competitors, from an increasingly wide variety of schools. Exceptional snowfall in the days preceding the competition ensured that the racing was conducted on the lower slopes of the resort, resulting in a great atmosphere.
Head of Outdoor Education, Mr Ben Green, remarked, “This was the largest team of ski racers that Whitgift has ever sent to the championships, and, following indoor success in September and a good training evening back in the autumn, expectations were very high before the racing began.
“What followed over the three days of racing was one of the most impressive periods of consistently high-level ski racing that I have seen since taking charge of Outdoor Education at Whitgift. The boys all performed either at, or beyond, our expectations.”
The junior team was particularly successful, with Augustin Bozzetto and Freddie Nevrides (both Upper First Form) providing one of the stand-out moments, as they battled it out for gold in the individual slalom event. The junior boys were also a formidable force in the parallel slalom, claiming team gold. The senior boys outperformed many of their more experienced competitors to claim team silver in the slalom event. Mr Green commended the seniors, “They were an absolute credit to the School as they brought leadership and spirit to the whole team.”
Below is a list of the medals won by the team, although a well done is due to all of the participants for their fantastic efforts, and for being excellent ambassadors for the School:
- Individual Junior Slalom and GS Gold - Augustin Bozzetto
- Individual Junior Slalom Silver and GS Bronze - Freddie Nevrides
- Junior Team Slalom Gold - Augustin Bozzetto, Freddie Nevrides, Angus Ritchie, Joshua Astbury
- Junior Team GS Gold - Augustin Bozzetto, Freddie Nevrides, Ben Lyons, Joshua Astbury
- Junior Team Parallel Gold - Augustin Bozzetto, Freddie Nevrides, Ben Lyons, Joshua Astbury, Angus Ritchie, Pierre Jaquard, Daniel Hage
- Individual U16 Slalom and GS Bronze - Kit Bellman
- Senior team Slalom Silver - Kit Bellman, Steven Rich, Jack Hawkins, Daniel Rich
- Senior team GS Bronze - kit Bellman, Daniel Rich, Steven Rich, Tom Rees