International Students

International students are expected to follow the same application process as UK applicants, and will sit Entrance Examination papers for their age group.

Where English is not the applicant’s first language, students may be required to sit an English as an Additional Language (EAL) examination paper. This will be decided in consultation with the Head of EAL.

It is possible for students to take our examinations abroad at a British Council location closest to their home. All students who are being considered for an offer will be invited for an interview either at Whitgift or via Teams.

Whitgift is a Sponsor for international students who require a Child Student Visa or Student Visa to study in the UK. Sponsorship is available for Full Boarders from Year 9 (13+) through Sixth Form (16+).

International students who have EUSS status, a Dependent Visa, Right of Abode, Indefinite Leave to Remain or other visa, which allows the student to live and study in the UK, should upload a copy of the visa/ BRP/ document when completing the application.

Please note that for Student Visa applications we reserve the right (i) to request further information and sight of documentation in support of your declarations on our application form and (ii) to share information with UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) and the Home Office for the purposes of compliance with our responsibilities as a licensed sponsor.

By completing our application form, you consent to our notifying and/or supplying information relating to you and/or your child’s right to enter, reside and/or study in the United Kingdom to UKVI and the Home Office (and to do so whether we sponsor your child or not).

English as an Additional Language (EAL) Information

Where English is not the applicant’s first language, students may be required to sit an English as an Additional Language (EAL) exam paper.  This will be confirmed in consultation with the Head of EAL.

Our guidelines for EAL are as follows:

CEFR Levels

B2 level is split into 3 sections: lower-middle and upper intermediate level

Intake into Year 9: minimum is lower end of B2 or on the cusp between B1/B2. Year 9 boys have three years to get to an upper-intermediate level and the transition to a C1/2 is easily achievable

Intake into Sixth Form: minimum middle of B2; ideally upper-intermediate B2/ low C1 level

You may like to refer to our Languages curriculum for further information outlining the support you will receive should you be successful in obtaining a place at Whitgift.