Football at Whitgift inspires pupils to develop a lifelong love of the sport, by providing opportunities for all ability levels. Pupils enjoy a sector leading programme, where they not only develop their technical skills but learn values such as integrity, responsibility and respect which they need for the challenges they face not just on the pitch but in all areas of school life.
All pupils are supported in achieving their potential through:
- Whitgift’s team of Coaches and Teachers: Ex professionals, UEFA qualified coaches and both PE and academic staff provide a mix of education which benefits boys of all abilities.
- 21 teams ranging from A - C have regular midweek or weekend matches ranging from friendlies to league competitions and cup fixtures.
- A fixture card that challenges pupils at varying levels from matches with local independent and state schools through to national and academy standard fixtures.
- The School has strong relationships with professional academies such as Chelsea, Fulham and Crystal Palace.
- With our focus always on progressing pupils’ development, supporting them to form bonds and friendships for life and exploring new footballing cultures, tours and training camps are an important part of football life. Pupils have travelled as far afield as the USA, and UAE and closer to home with tours to Spain plus residential camps on our doorstep at the School’s own boarding house.
Whitgift pupils have achieved ten national titles in the last five years with several of them, and Whitgift’s alumni, representing professional academies and clubs and progressing to their national sides; most notably OW Callum Hudson-Odoi and Victor Moses.
The School’s true measure of success is how many pupils are playing football and the improvement of each one during their time at Whitgift.